- Top Tips
Staying healthy whilst travelling
It’s safe to say that summer is now in full swing and chances are you will be embarking on some form of summer trip. Whilst holidays are generally a time of restoration, there can also be moments of stress: the journey itself, for example, or...the dreaded packing. So, whether you’re travelling long haul or have opted for a staycation, we’ve pulled together some expert advice to help ensure that your summer break is as stress-free as possible.
Flights and longer car journey can wreak havoc on our bodies, but there are steps you can take to counteract this:
- British Airways offers this comprehensive guide on looking after your wellbeing during long haul flights
- WikiHow have a useful guide to inflight exercises - we like the simplicity of this and there are pictures to help you
- Got a long car journey with kids? This guide is essential reading
Holidays are a time for switching off but with a bit more time on your hands, it's also a good time to do some gentle exercise:
- Yoga with Adriene is one of the most popular fitness-related YouTube channels. Check it out for short and easy-to-follow yoga sessions
- The BBC have this comprehensive guide to exercising from anywhere, without equipment
- The Telegraph offer a useful guide to exercising whilst on holiday
You're on holiday so, of course, you should indulge. But there are things you can do to ensure good nutrition isn't completely derailed:
- Here is a useful guide to holiday sleep from WebMD
- Read CNN Travel’s guide to eating healthily whilst travelling
- The NHS guide to Food and Water Abroad is full of handy tips, especially if you're travelling further afield
If you're prone to feeling anxious about travelling or being away from home, here are some things to consider:
- Create a Spotify playlist of songs that make you feel relaxed. Or check out this pre-created list.
- Have a look at this selection of mindfulness and meditation apps to keep you balanced
- 11 Tips for Reducing Holiday Travel Stress - this is a list of general guidance around keeping calm
Different time zones, different bed....it's not uncommon to have issues with sleep whilst on holiday. Read on to find ways to counteract this:
- The Sleep Council have compiled this handy list
- NHS Choices offer this guide for dealing with jet lag
- WebMD gives some useful jetlag survival tips here
This article from The Independent also offers a useful overview of holiday wellbeing, from navigating the hotel breakfast to getting enough sleep.
And, lastly, most trips start with packing, so get off on the right foot with this guide to stress-free packing.