- Top Tips
Sitting is the new smoking
"Sitting is the new smoking". Chances are you will have heard this phrase before, and for good reason! The American Journal of Preventative Medicine states: “It doesn’t matter if you go running every morning, if you spend most of the day sitting you are putting yourself at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and a variety of cancers”.
With this eye-opening warning in mind, we spoke to Leah Hearle, osteopath at the Isokinetic Centre on Harley Street (a FIFA medical centre) to find out how we can counteract the negative effects of sitting. Here are her top tips:
1. Set an alarm that reminds you to get up and move every 30 minutes.
2. Take all your phone calls standing up
3. Stand up during team meetings - get everyone involved!
4. Try ‘walking meetings’ - perfect for one on one
5. Invest in technology that monitors your steps and aim for 10,000 a day
6. Adjust your commute - park away from your destination, get off the bus one stop early
7. When you get home, try doing star jumps or stretches whilst watching TV